Monday, May 21, 2007

Diabetes drug tied to heart risks

A new analysis Monday reported the widely prescribed diabetes drug Avandia is linked to a greater risk of heart attack and possibly death.
More than 6 million people worldwide have taken the drug sold by London-based GlaxoSmithKline PLC since it came on the market eight years ago. Pooled results of dozens of studies revealed a 45 percent higher risk of heart attack, according to the analysis published online by the New England Journal of Medicine.
In a conference call Monday, Glaxo's chief of diabetes drug development, Dr. Lawson McCartney, said the analysis is not definitive scientific proof. The company is not seeing "anything like" the risks reported in the medical journal, he said.
"We remain very confident in the safety and of course in the efficacy of Avandia as an important diabetic medicine," McCartney said.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration had no immediate comment on Monday's New England Journal report on Avandia.
The company's stock was down 7 percent in morning trading after the medical journal's report appeared.
The report on the risks of the diabetes drug follow Glaxo's $2.5 million settlement of a lawsuit filed by former New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer over the release of data on the safety and effectiveness of its drugs. Spitzer, now New York governor, accused Glaxo of fraudulently withholding some results of studies that had examined the safety of prescribing the antidepressant Paxil to children.
GlaxoSmithKline disputed that it attempted to mislead anyone, and said it has always been in favor of widespread disclosure of clinical trial results.
Avandia is used to treat Type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the disease, which is linked to obesity. This form of diabetes occurs when the body does not make enough insulin or cannot effectively use what it manages to produce.
Avandia helps sensitize the body to insulin and was considered a breakthrough medication for blood-sugar control.
Several experts said Avandia was another Vioxx-like example of the U.S. government failing to detect a safety problem until after millions of people had taken a drug. Vioxx was a blockbuster arthritis medicine until it was withdrawn in 2004 when heart problems came to light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very important new's. I made some call to doctors& clinics ;every-one needs to know. Being in the medical field ; this medication was of concern to me; as some of my pts. had shown side effects ; such as increased blood pressure ; just to mention only one.My husband was on this medication; I spoke to his Dr.many times of my concern; I was told I worried too much. After he died of a massive heart attack; the Dr. said I wish he had't looked so good.Needless to say I reported this info to the board of medicine; here in Ca. His body showed many mild heart attack's & one stroke, which I knew about. many times after a stroke, often times they get better, after a smaller stroke, then in about three months you can see changes.They aren't able to keep up with exercise; walking with a cane & are very tired. I am happy to see this new's finally come to light.I have also had pts. reffered to me on Vioxx; one lady I think of often; had a massive stroke after her third day of taking this medication, glad I didn't give it to her. She died a few day's later !! I was on vioxx as well, while going through chem. my blood pressure spiked, had not ever before. My heart show's alot of damage, I was on it for two year's. We should all share our info; without doing so, we can't get the stats we need, to prevent these terrible things from happening. I check my info everyday to see what's new, I'm not seeing nearly as many pts.now, just my older one's. I'm not happy with the job, theres so little we can do when these thing's come up. I think their needs to be more out there for the patient's.They trust their Dr's to know, sad but true many just don't know& don't have the time or don't take the time they should !!